New to Yoga? WELCOME!
Coming to your first class? Here are a few pointers to get you started.
- Arrive early - Especially if you are new to the studio.
- Parking - We have more than fifty FREE parking spots in the rear of the building, which is our main entrance. If at any time those spots are full, there is free parking on the side streets, Waverly and Oakland Avenues. We are right next to Valley National Bank and a block away from Baltusrol Golf Club.
- Wear comfortable clothes that aren’t too loose.
- Please bring a mat! We do offer FREE mats and rental mats but we encourage you to have a mat of your own to foster your own personal practice.
- We offer storage cubbies for your belongings as well as two changing rooms.
- Upon entering the studio, please sign in. You can always pre-register with MindBody online to reserve your spot.
- Please turn off your cell phone and try to keep chatter to a minimum to preserve the relaxing atmosphere.
Yoga is an ancient science of uniting or “yoking” the mind, body, and soul, by stilling the natural frenzy of thoughts and the fidgety movements of the body. It is not a religion, but a path to opening up to your own spirituality, if you should desire. You truly receive benefits from what you put into your yoga practice and your practice should be a balanced one.
Here is a list of the eightfold path that one begins when they enter into world of yoga:
- Yama: moral conduct; non-injury to others, truthfulness, non-stealing, continence, and non-covetousness
- Niyama: observances; purity of body and mind, contentment in all circumstances, self-discipline, self-study (contemplation), and devotion to your higher power
- Asana: posture
- Pranayama: control of prana, the subtle life currents or energy in the body
- Pratyahara: going within for the withdrawal of the senses from external objects
- Dharana: focused concentration; holding the mind to one thought or object
- Dhyana: meditation, absorption in the vast perception of the Universe — Bliss, Peace, Cosmic Light, Cosmic Sound, Love, and Wisdom
- Samadhi: superconscious experience of the oneness of the individualized soul with Cosmic Spirit
At AMP, we try to incorporate as much as we can of the above to bring you a balanced practice and to allow for the inner and outer transformations to take place.
Types of Yoga
Not sure which class to take? Here's a brief description of each type to help you choose what's right for you.
- Beginner’s Hatha Yoga
New to yoga or just want to get back into the beginner’s mindset? This is your class. We will break down the yoga poses and make sure there is thorough understanding of alignment to create a stable and strong practice.
- Gentle Yoga Looking to de-stress, relax and move at a slower pace? We go through gentle postures and listen to calming tunes. Open to all levels and ages!
- Mat Pilates A core strengthening class to build endurance and tone the power center of the body.
- Prenatal Yoga- offered in a series. Come to our Gentle class as well!
- Vinyasa Flow
Find inner strength and link movement with breath through a powerful vinyasa sequence.
- Mat Pilates
A core strengthening class to build endurance and tone to the power center of the body.
- Hot Yoga Flow Flow in a mindfully heated room from 85-95 degrees.
- Kid's Yoga (ages 4-11) Kid's will learn how to focus and have fun using the fundamentals of a balanced yoga practice.
- Core Yoga Flow Practice poses to enhance core strength and development.